After completing his first marathon at the age of 18 in 1981, Steve has since gone on to run 490 official marathon races in an average finish time of just over 3hrs 15min.
This not only makes him one of the UK’s leading serial marathon runners but arguably one of the most prolific in the world. Over the years he has set many serial marathon endurance records, his most recent for running the fastest 10 marathons in 10 consecutive days.
He still holds the British record for running the most official marathon races in one year and is now aiming to become the first athlete in the world to run 500 Sub 3hrs 30min marathons averaging less than 3hrs 15min for each one. He hopes to achieve this goal in 2012, his 50th birthday year and of course Olympic Year!
His Main Achievements Include :
- At the age of 28, became the youngest athlete in the world to run 100 official marathon races.
- Set a Guinness World Record™ by running 87 marathons in one year averaging 3hrs 14min for each
- At the age of 29, became the youngest athlete in the world to run 200 official marathon races.
- Set a new Guinness World Record™ for the fastest 10 marathons in 10 days at an official event.
- Has run 118 sub 3hr 10min, 209 sub 3hr 15min and 427 sub 3hr 30min marathons.
- On average, has run a marathon every 17 days for the last 21 years.
Recent Highlights Include
- 2008 Set a new world record for the fastest time to run 10 marathons in 10 days, 35 hours 20min.
- Recorded his 100th Sub 3hr 10min marathon and 400th Sub 3hr 30min marathon.
- Ran a total of 30 marathons including three V45 age category wins and a 3rd place. 2009
- Set a new world best time by a Vet category athlete to run 10 marathons in 10 days, 33hrs 16min, which is over 2 hours quicker than last year and averaging 3hrs 19min for each marathon.
- Recorded his 200th Sub 3hr 15min marathon.
- Well on his way to running 33 marathons this year which already includes two outright wins, a 3rd place and two V45 age category wins.
He will be attending and taking part in the Limassol Marathon, so take inspiration and join in on the run!